Why Denver Homeowners Are Seeing Flying Ants Inside Their Homes
Over the weekend we heard from a Denver homeowner who suddenly noticed several flying ants inside her home and she’s not alone. As the spring season unfolds in Denver, many homeowners may find themselves encountering flying ants. Unfortunately, these winged insects, likely carpenter ants, can cause significant damage if left untreated. In this article, we will explore why homeowners in Denver may be seeing flying carpenter ants inside their homes, the problems they can cause, and effective strategies for preventing carpenter ant infestations.
Why flying ants suddenly show up inside homes in Denver & throughout Colorado
The appearance of flying ants inside homes during the spring is not uncommon. These winged ants are the reproductive members of the carpenter ant colony, known as alates or swarmers. Their primary purpose is to mate and establish new colonies.
Denver's warm spring weather often triggers the emergence of flying ants. The rising temperatures and increased humidity create favorable conditions for these insects to leave their nests and search for potential nesting sites. While carpenter ant colonies are often located outdoors in rotting trees and other areas, these large black ants also establish satellite colonies inside homes and other structures. If ants are swarming inside a dwelling, there’s a good chance carpenter ants have been in residence – maybe the entire winter.
Problems caused by carpenter ants
While carpenter ants do not consume wood as termites do, they are still considered wood-destroying insects. These pests excavate galleries within wooden structures to create nests, which can lead to significant damage over time. The problems associated with carpenter ant infestations include:
Structural & Cosmetic Damage
Carpenter ants prefer damp or decaying wood but can also excavate sound wood. They tunnel through the wooden elements of a home, weakening its structural integrity. They may also cause minor to more significant cosmetic damage to homes.
As carpenter ant colonies grow, they expand their nests and create satellite colonies. This expansion increases the potential for damage and complicates control efforts.
How to prevent carpenter ant infestations
Prevention is essential when it comes to dealing with carpenter ants. By implementing the following carpenter ant prevention tips, homeowners in Denver, Colorado Springs, and Boulder as well as throughout Colorado can reduce the risk of infestation.
- Eliminate Moisture: Moisture attracts carpenter ants. Fix leaky pipes, ensure proper drainage, and address any areas prone to moisture buildup, such as basements and crawl spaces.
- Remove Food Sources: Carpenter ants are opportunistic feeders. Keep your home clean and free from food debris, especially sweet or sugary substances that attract ants.
- Seal Entry Points: Seal any cracks, gaps, or holes in the foundation, walls, and windows. Preventing access points will make it harder for carpenter ants to enter your home.
- Trim Vegetation: Trim tree branches, shrubs, and plants away from your home's exterior. These can serve as bridges for carpenter ants, allowing them to access your property.
- Maintain Firewood: Store firewood away from the house and elevate it from the ground. Inspect the wood for signs of infestation before bringing it indoors.
- Contact An Exterminator: If you suspect a carpenter ant infestation and are unsure how to deal with it effectively, the best way to proceed is to consult with a pest control company. Professional pest control specialists have the training, tools, and experience to accurately identify carpenter ant infestations and to provide the appropriate pest treatment.
EnviroPest offers effective carpenter ant control in Denver, Colorado Springs & NoCo
Whether you’ve seen these big black ants crawling in your home or have spotted carpenter ants swarming indoors or on your property, EnviroPest can help you get rid of these insects! Our Colorado’s Choice Smart Service is a year-round home pest control plan that eliminates existing pest activity and prevents new pest problems from developing. In other words, when homeowners sign up, they don’t have to worry about pests any longer. To learn more about, check out the plan benefits below or give us a call!
Colorado's Choice SMART Service
- Year-Round Pest Protection
- 4 Seasonal Services
- Covers 30+ Pests
- Free Re-Treat Service
- Rodent Control
- 24/7 Digital Rodent Monitoring
GETTING STARTED IS AS EASY AS 1-2-3
REQUEST FREE ESTIMATE
Pest Solutions For Homes & Businesses
We understand that pest problems can be unsettling and frustrating, but the solution shouldn't be. For over 55 years, we've been helping folks right here in Colorado take care of ants, spiders, mice, mosquitoes, wasps, bed bugs, bats and most other creepy crawly things. We'll get there fast to solve the issue quickly and affordably - Guaranteed.