Bed Bug Prevention Tips Of 2018
What to know about bed bugs.
If you follow the news when it comes to homeownership and health, you've probably grown sick of hearing about bed bugs. Their infestation of hotels or ill-kept homes has become a commonplace tale, and it's convenient that along with this rise in hype about the problem have come a host of people saying that they have the solution. If you've ever tried to deal with a bed bug problem you may well have fallen for some of the over-the-counter products "guaranteed" to eliminate bed bugs easily. It's too bad that bed bugs are rarely so obliging as to fold to our $8.99 can of chemicals. Many DIY methods are based on false perceptions of how bed bugs spread and just what these little bloodsuckers are capable of.
There is, however, some tested and true information that has proven invaluable to pest control professionals and homeowners in avoiding scams, along with some simple practices that can minimize the risk of bed bug infestation. Here are the top five tips we've come up with this year for preventing and dealing with bed bugs:
- Know your enemy. Separating truth from fiction is key to knowing what works in preventing any kind of infestation. Bed bugs don't care how clean your house is, and they don't spring up from the ground if you forget to change your sheets. These bugs are the size of an apple seed when full-grown, and will hide in the seams of furniture, in your baseboard, and even inside of electrical outlets, waiting for dark to venture out and feed.
- Be mindful of bed bugs when you travel. Bed bugs are professional hitchhikers, and will happily set up camp anywhere they can get a bite, not just in hotels. This means that public places and transportation, and even restaurants and retail stores can house bed bugs. It also means your travel luggage or purse is the perfect taxi ride to their next hunting ground. Checking any rooms you stay in and keeping your luggage off the floor will lessen the chance of bringing home unwanted guests.
- Know what kills bed bugs. Bed bugs are resilient creatures, and sometimes even chemicals advertised specifically to kill them don't do the job. This is because bed bugs can adapt to chemical threats, resisting your best efforts to get them gone. Chemical solutions can work, but must be applied correctly to ensure that the entire infestation is dealt with and to ensure that bed bugs don't survive and adapt. The most effective method for killing bed bugs is heat. Bed bugs cannot survive in temperatures around 120 degrees Fahrenheit. This makes throwing travel clothes and even luggage (if possible) in the dryer your best bet at avoiding bringing in bed bugs into your home. This also makes bed bug heat treatment the number one method of eliminating bed bug infestations.
- Know how bed bugs survive. One of the most common frustrations of DIY bed bug control is that just when you're letting out a sigh of relief, the bed bugs return. Bed bugs can survive literally for months without feeding, and have been known to enter a dormant state when their population is threatened, awaiting the right opportunity to reappear. What this means is that effective bed bug detection and thorough bed bug treatment is key to ensuring that you only have to deal with these pests once.
- Know when to ask for help. It is often cheaper to solve problems on your own, and it's certainly more satisfying, but when it comes to bed bugs, you don't want to spend the time and hassle trying to treat your home, only to have your efforts come up short in the end. Bed bugs, because of their persistence, are a pest that professionals highly recommend you don't try to eliminate on your own. The time and frustration just isn't worth it, not to mention the risk of new, more resilient breeds popping up due to incomplete chemical application. Professional services can ensure that your money is well spent and that you can be confident that your bed bug problems are over.
You can rest easy when it comes to bed bugs because EnviroPest has you covered. Our technicians know what it takes to get rid of bed bugs, and we offer safe, fast, and effective bed bug treatments. Not only that, but we are ready to help for the long-term. If you are unsatisfied with our treatment we will correct it free of charge. Bed bugs are not something you want to deal with. Knowing how to avoid them, and how they can be eliminated, can give you peace of mind in your day-to-day life, and EnviroPest is just a call away to give you quality service and effective solutions.
GETTING STARTED IS AS EASY AS 1-2-3
REQUEST FREE ESTIMATE
Pest Solutions For Homes & Businesses
We understand that pest problems can be unsettling and frustrating, but the solution shouldn't be. For over 55 years, we've been helping folks right here in Colorado take care of ants, spiders, mice, mosquitoes, wasps, bed bugs, bats and most other creepy crawly things. We'll get there fast to solve the issue quickly and affordably - Guaranteed.